Voici 5 choses que j’ai aimées récemment. Here are five things I’ve been loving lately.
1. Apparently I’ve been living under a rock, because I only just recently discovered Lisa Eldridge, an amazing and accomplished makeup artist. I know, I know, you’re all scoffing at me. But better late than never?
And I adore her. We even have similar skin issues and similar coloring (though she has those gorgeous hazel eyes).
I’m not sure if her tutorial videos have seen me through insomnia or if they’ve caused my insomnia since I stay up way too late watching them. (And then I want all the things she uses! This is how I found out about Face Lace.)
But, in particular, I adore the look she uses in this video.
2. After reading about Tom Ford’s Black Orchid fragrance here and here, I was curious enough to go to Sephora and get a sample. It’s touted as a unisex fragrance, and when I sampled it on a card at the Tom Ford counter first, the person helping me told me that Brad Pitt wears it.
I have not worn a unisex fragrance since CK One came out and EVERYONE wore it. And I was young and foolish then. So I was skeptical.
And I have to say, I’m won over. And yet still skeptical. Black Orchid goes on smelling gorgeously fruity. And it dries down to a lovely spice. But a very masculine spice. (I suppose that’s how it works as a unisex fragrance?) I had my brother smell it, and he said it smelled like a men’s scent.
But maybe that’s why I liked it? Hey, if you don’t have a man in your life to smell, just smell yourself instead? 😉
That bottle. Is sexy.
3. I was lucky enough to discover Rosaspina Vintage when they still had pieces from their summer collection left. All the clothing is designed by the lovely Ale from Turin, handmade by her mother, and sourced from her grandmother’s vintage textile collection. It is the most amazing history for your clothing to have.
In the ensuing days, I’ve been dying over the hints of the Autumn/Winter 2013 collection to come. Yesterday, it went on sale. And I think I am officially dead from the amazingness. I literally want everything. But if I have to pick a few favorites, these are them.
The ‘Little Red Riding Hood’ cape in Burnt Orange. I want this so badly it hurts. (The ‘Briar Rose’ pinafore in Floral is also available.)
I loved every color of this dress. Here, the ‘Gretel’ dress in Mist.
This skirt was in my cart. My cart advanced to Paypal. I looked at the price again and reminded myself that I have no money. I cried.
It’s so beautiful, it hurts to look at it. The ‘Gerda’ skirt in Chestnut. (The ‘Little Matchgirl’ blouse in Scarlet is also available.)
Sadly, because they are hand made and mostly one-of-a-kind, the skirt will be gone by the time I am working again and can afford to buy it. It breaks my heart.
4. Reading The Penny Rose, I couldn’t help but notice the amazing illustration in their logo. I obviously had to dig around and see if they mentioned who it was by and, of course, they did.
Jessica Durrant‘s work has been seen at Target, One Kings Lane, QVC.com, Glamour.com, and many others. But you don’t need to be a corporation or institution to be lucky enough to have a piece of her gorgeous art. Etsy to the rescue, once again! And, once again, I want everything.
Seriously. I wonder how much she charges. I need a logo…
5. I am not exaggerating when I say this last thing is a godsend. How many times have you (assuming you are a beauty enthusiast) wanted to try a new foundation, only to be faced with the fact that you have no idea which color to pick? Sometimes that’s not a problem, ie, when you are able to go into a store and try it on. But what if they don’t sell it at a store near you? Or what if you go into the store and no one is available to help you? (This happened to me. More than once.)
That’s where Findation comes in. Plug in the shades of the brands and specific foundations that you know you where, and it populates a list of what your shade would be in countless others. They have a huge array of brands and foundations listed. You’re sure to find something that you want on the list.
In the interest of full disclosure, I have not yet tested how accurate it is, so don’t blame me if it’s not exactly right. But I’m pretty sure something came up on my list that I had tried on once, in the right shade.
I’m excited to test it out, though!
What do you think of my 5 things? What have you been loving lately?