By now, I’ve raved so much about Surratt Artistique Eyeshadows, I could practically be their spokesman. But as a sister post to the Autumn and Winter Lipstick Picks, I wanted to show you a perfect neutral eye that you can pair with any bright, dark, cold-weather lipstick.
Posts Tagged ‘Instagram’
Yes, you’re not seeing wrong. This is an actual blog post.* From moi. Because, you guys, I FINALLY HAVE A TOM FORD LIPSTICK OF MY VERY OWN!!! That’s definitely worth blogging about. So, behold: Tom Ford Matte Lipstick in Ruby Rush.
Incoming search terms:
- tom ford ruby rush
- tom ford dominic ruby woo
- tom ford matte ruby woo
*blows off the dust*
Well, hello, there! I know that it’s been an age. I’ll spare you the uninteresting details of how my day job has sucked up my life, but I just couldn’t let my 1 year blogiversary pass without a post.*
And a post about my first New York Fashion Week event ever! Yes, I said ever. Despite being a lifelong New Yorker. Hey, better late than never, right? And what a way to start it off, with the Maison Kitsuné Spring/Summer 15 collection, in all its adorable Frenchness. How fitting, n’est-ce pas?!
I do have some new-ish purchases I’m getting ready to feature here, but the weather is not cooperating for photography. So I thought I may as well share my latest beauty lusts. We’ll see if they feature on here in the future, eh? 🙂
This may look like an odd choice, but do you see that muddy color up in the upper left hand corner? It’s muddy because it’s blue with golden shimmer and it’s BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL. You can see it better here and swatches here. I think my desire for the blue may stem from this photo of Valentine, though I’d be better off with a matte blue to recreate that look, and I’d probably pay less for it. At $60, I feel like YSL may have outpriced themselves with these new palettes. (Too bad, because it’s so prettttttty!!) (more…)
Incoming search terms:
While perusing a new blog I found through Instagram the other day, I came across a gorgeous red lipstick (raise your hand if you’re not surprised) that had me stop and go, “What is she wearing?!” Turns out, it was Nicka K Hydro Lipstick, a brand from New York that I’d never heard of before, and the lipstick cost all of $4.99.
Well, for that price, I didn’t think twice about ordering it to try out!
Some of you have been waiting for this, some of you haven’t, but here goes nothing. It’s taken me this long to post about my Paris haul because of all the things that I had to photograph! And the weather hasn’t been that cooperative. (I need to get some lighting!!)
You may have seen my “overview” on Instagram, but here we go in detail… (more…)
Incoming search terms:
- french pharmacy haul
“Socks in Perfect French” was the subject line of an email I received from Mes Chaussettes Rouges, a French company that sells men’s socks. I was told that they’ve been catching on with women, as well, because everyone needs warm and well-made socks, and asked if I’d like to try a pair.
I don’t know if you know what New York has been like this winter, but let me demonstrate for you:
And it has left me feeling cold, as well as:
So when a lovely Frenchman named Jacques asks if you’d be interested in receiving warm socks from France, you say, “Oui! Bien sûr!” (And, of course, “Merci beaucoup!”)
Yes, you read that correctly. 100 posts.
Holy shit, y’all.
If you would have told me back when I started this thing that I’d be celebrating this (okay, fine, modest) milestone (but still a milestone!), I would have given you my famous eyeroll and side eye. (You know that look.)
Not that I’ve been at it that long. I guess that’s what posting nearly every day does for you.
In that time, however, I’ve had some thoughts on the whole thing. So I apologize for monopolizing this post by airing them.
1. Blogging is hard. I mean, I knew it was. I’ve started and abandoned it so many times. But it’s even harder than I thought. Especially when you’re working full time. Everyone assumes it’s just a bunch of words and pictures on a page, but it’s extremely time-consuming. And potentially expensive. You know, buying things to review. And so forth. Amielle and I are constantly cheering each other on from across continents. Because motivation is necessary.
2. And thankless. So you’ve really got to want to do it. I started this blog for a variety of reasons. One of which was to have a portfolio of writing outside my main industry. (More cryptic half-snippets of personal information.) And, mission accomplished. But, I’ve since formed other goals. None of which have really been accomplished yet. And I sometimes wonder if they will. For every successful blogger, there are thousands of little blogs like mine. I may never get there. And yet.
3. But can be rewarding in surprising ways. I may not have very many readers, but I really value the relationships I’ve developed. Even if they’re just in the form of comments. I like my “blogging friends.” I look forward to you comments. And I look forward to reading your blogs. Trying to blog requires you to comment on as many blogs as you have time for, but there are the ones that I make sure I check and keep up on. (P.S. You’ll find them in te blogroll in my sidebar, which I updated recently.)
4. And is about you, not me. Though perhaps belied by this post, if you’re not finding something interesting to appeal to you, you’re not staying. I’ve seen some of the v/bloggers I used to love turn into ego monsters, where every single thing they post is now photos of themselves doing whatever it is they’re doing. Not what they’re doing. (Then again, they’re the ones with thousands of followers egging them on, so they must be doing something right.) I promise you, my blog and social media feeds (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest…if you’re inclined to follow me 😉 ) will never become showcases of photos of me. Good god, that would be awful. (I do necessarily have to post some photos of myself to show you how things look on an actual person. It’s harder for me than it is for you, trust me.)
And some changes are coming. I’ve joined Google AdSense, just being up front about it. And I’m gonna get all official and add a disclosure policy. (Rebecca, yours is amazing. I may have to rip it off. Oh, sorry, I mean “sample.”) In case I ever do get any PR samples. (Has not happened yet. Even my “semi-sponsored” posts were not actually beneficial.) I also updated my commenting system (a week or so ago) so you will actually see replies to your comments (—let me know if you like this format, because there’s another I can try.)
In general, if you have any feedback—comments, advice, suggestions—I am all ears.
So, in conclusion, thank you for reading this personal, non-topical post, if you’ve made it to the end. I look forward to hopefully entertaining, educating, and enlightening you for 100s of posts to come. (Well, at least another 100. I shouldn’t get too far ahead of myself.)
1 2 Next